Spring is breaking out all over Due West with fresh colors and new beginnings. Alumni Weekend with our annual Association meeting will be coming up Saturday, April 28. This event signals new beginnings as well.
To kick off our meeting, Erskine’s 15th president, Dr. David Norman, will be sharing with our Association how he has quickly come to love Erskine. We will also be electing six new Alumni Board Directors and giving consideration to a revision of the Association’s Constitution and Bylaws.
Constitution and Bylaws update
Last summer, after the Board of Trustees completed their work on Erskine’s Bylaws, our Alumni Board’s Constitution and Bylaws Committee began a re-evaluation of our Association’s documents. Their efforts have led to restructuring our Association’s Constitution and Bylaws. The proposed revision includes adding or updating the following elements:
- A preamble with Erskine’s mission statements
- Separate amendment processes for the Constitution and Bylaws
- Clarification of the purpose of the Alumni Association
- “For-cause” removal process for Alumni Board officers and directors
- Responsibilities of Alumni Board members in relation to conflict of interest and undue influence
You may download a copy of the proposed Constitution and Bylaw revisions by visiting this website:
I encourage you to take a look at this proposal. It will give you a better understanding of our Association’s purposes, processes, and potential.
Alumni Survey benefits
I’d like to take a moment to extend my appreciation again to those of you who participated in the Alumni Survey. I assure you that I reviewed all the data and read all the comments that you submitted (even the attached letters.) As President of Erskine’s Alumni Association, I serve as the voice of the Alumni on the Board of Trustees. The perspective I gained from your input, especially your comments, has been valuable to me in performing my responsibilities. The data collected was beneficial to the Alumni Board’s Nominating committee as they considered a wider range of candidates for Alumni Directors and to the Constitution and Bylaws committee as they considered revisions to our Association’s framework. I anticipate other benefits from the data in the weeks and months ahead. If you would like to receive a copy of the survey report, please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Alumni Weekend events
Our Alumni Association meeting is only one of the events during Alumni Weekend Friday, April 27 – Saturday, April 28. Festivities begin on Friday with the Erskine Open Golf Tournament at Hunter’s Creek Golf Club in Greenwood. Many classes will be having reunions Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. You can relax and enjoy Erskine’s Chamber Ensemble in Memorial Hall on Friday evening, and tap your toes to Erskine’s Jazz Band and Chamber Singers’ annual Pops Concert Saturday evening.
One of the themes repeated frequently in the Alumni Survey was the appreciation Alumni have for lifelong friendships that began in Due West. Even if your class is not having a reunion, contact your Erskine friends and encourage them to meet you in Due West to attend one or more of these Alumni Weekend activities.
As you can see, there are many reasons for you to plan now to come to Due West April 27-28 for Alumni Weekend. Come see how beautiful the campus looks, come hear how Dr. Norman has fallen in love with Erskine, come make your mark on our Association’s future, and come spend a day with friends. You’ll be glad you came. You’ll see how a new generation is flourishing and return home with refreshed memories of the academic village we know as Erskine.
With confidence in Erskine’s future,
President, Erskine Alumni Association
- Separation of Church and School — by World Magazine
- Minority Report of Erskine Trustees Regarding the Erskine Board’s Response to the General Synod
- A message from Erskine Board of Trustees Chair Joe Patrick
- Louisiana College Wins Legal Battle for Inerrancy — Lessons for the ARP Maybe?
- How Does Erskine Implement Christian Education? — Two Opinions
- Erskine Alumni Association Newsletter — April, 2012
- Erskine Spring Break Widow’s Service Ministry Project
- Erskine Alumni Survey Summary
- Erskine College Board reaches out to ARP Synod
- Erskine Hopeful for Continued Dialogue with ARP Synod