The spring meeting was held Feb. 16, 2012
- Received Rev. Tom Irby from the Georgia Foothills Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in America and approved his call to the Fuller Memorial Church, Durham.
- Approved Rev. Doug Petersen as the stated supply for the Westminster Church, Albemarle, NC.
- Received a report from the Trustees Committee on various items concerning church properties. The following recommendations were approved:
- Authorized the Presbytery treasurer to pay expenses associated with these properties.
- Approved paying possible expenses for the sale of the Asheville property from the Church Extension Fund.
- Approved paying possible expenses for the… Continue reading
By David Briggs
They are called “clergy killers” — congregations where a small group of members are so disruptive that no pastor is able to maintain spiritual leadership for long.
And yet ministers often endure the stresses of these dysfunctional relationships for months, or even years, before eventually being forced out or giving up.
Adding to the strain is the process, which is often shrouded in secrecy. No one – from denominational officials to church members to the clerics themselves – want to acknowledge the failure of a relationship designed to be a sign to the world of mutual love and support.
But new research is providing insights into just how widespread – and damaging – these forced terminations can be to clergy.
An online study published in the March issue of the Review of Religious Research found 28 percent of ministers said they had at one time been forced to leave their jobs due to personal attacks and criticism from a small faction of their congregations. Continue reading
Catawba Presbytery Highlights
From the meeting of Catawba Presbytery at the Centennial Church, Columbia, SC on March 13, 2012:
- Heard a message from Andrew K. Putnam, Moderator of Synod and member of Catawba Presbytery.
- Approved a new mission work in Rock Hill, SC to begin on April 1, 2012 and to be called Hill City Church, Associate Reformed Presbyterian.
- Approved a call for Andrew R. Stager to be developer for the Hill City Mission to begin April 1, 2012.
- Approved Ruling Elders Alan Broyles from the Tirzah Church and Cole McKinney from First… Continue reading